The initial months of PMO operation required the team to fully support the Urgent & Emergency Care Transformation Programme to enable it to deliver change ahead of the onset of Winter 2022/23 and rising demand. This involved:
- Working alongside multiple Transformation Programmes, place-based teams and other consultancies to embed effective working practices
- Developing a Prioritisation Framework and running prioritisation sessions with all four Local Delivery System (LDS) teams within the programme, enabling the prioritisation of workstreams based on their relative scale of opportunity and complexity of delivery.
- Running weekly reporting cycles and facilitating multiple weekly meetings
On conclusion of our work with the UEC programme, the PMO team, consisting of the Head of PMO and a Clarity Interim PMO Manager, proceeded to support and deliver:
- Administration of the Transformation Programme Board, including agenda setting, paper collation and quality assurance, actions tracking and delivery.
- The stand-up of a monthly Highlight and Exception reporting cycle from all Programmes to the Transformation Board from July 2022.
- Programme Planning for the immediate future and longer term, over 1 to 5 years. The PMO team developed the planning template for programmes, and reviewed and provided feedback on draft plans, prompting and supporting discussions on how best to prioritise objectives.
- Development of Standard Programme Management (PM) tools – the PMO engaged with all programme teams to understand their reporting requirements before setting up a Standardised Programme Management tools working group with representation from all programmes to agree requirements for, and feedback on, a suite of PM tools which would save programmes time on their existing reporting workloads and start to build a shared PM language across programmes and more widely across the ICS.
- Planning a Community of Practice – Engagement has been undertaken with all available programmes and plans are in draft for the development of a Community of Practice, which will include training on agreed and requested subjects, while also providing a forum for sharing of best practice and for cross-programme problem solving.
- Supporting recruitment process for appointment of a permanent PMO team. The Clarity PMO Manager drafted job descriptions and person specifications for all permanent PMO team roles.